Thursday 7 March 2013

Music Magazine Evaluation Ques#3. What kind of media institution might distribute my media product and why?

Looking at existing Hip-Hop magazines I think my JAMZ magazine would be published by IPC Media. The reason for that is because my magazine features both music artists and focuses on audiences predominantly in the United Kingdom. IPC Media is a 'British' consumer publications company; it publishes magazines for companies like NME, which is one of the biggest music publishing names in the United Kingdom as it has the biggest standalone music site in the world (NME.com). NME Magazine focuses on age groups between 15-34 and with the majority of readership being male (66%) and female (34%). According to my research on Psychographics this would put my magazine in a good position to be published by IPC Media since my magazine focuses on similar statistics (Readership age: 16-28), 80% Male, 20% Female.

One slight difference with my magazine and NME is that NME features Alternative and Rock/Indie type Artists and Music contrasting with the Hip-Hop Artists/Music in my JAMZ magazine. I think this would be a great benefit for IPC Media as there are not many artists that represent the Hip-Hop Genre in the United Kingdom when compared to the United States. With the now defunct Hip-Hop Connection magazine which was the biggest name in the UK, solely dedicated to Hip-Hop music, there aren't almost any publications left to help support the Hip-Hop Music Genre and the artists that represent it. Even though NME features well known Hip-Hop artists like Tinie Tempah, it is not 'entirely' dedicated to Hip-Hop as it is predominantly Indie/Rock. This would be a great opportunity for IPC Media because Hip-Hop enthusiasts and other fans aren't being updated in the United Kingdom as efficiently as the US is. As I said before, these young audiences want to stay up to date with current affairs; they want to stay updated and know what's happening in the world of media. My JAMZ Magazine will be published weekly, which is quick enough to keep these young audiences up to date at a reasonable price of £2.50 which should cover publishing and printing costs.

Lastly the need for a new Hip-Hop Magazine in the UK is a must, considering the fact are no major magazines solely dedicated to 'Hip-Hop' left, it would put my Magazine in a stable position with no major competitors, which means good news for IPC.

No comments:

Post a Comment